iKON (Korean: 아이콘) is a South Korean boy band formed by YG Entertainment. The seven members are B.I, Bobby, Kim Jinhwan, Koo Junhoe, Song Yunhyeong, Kim Donghyuk and Jung Chanwoo. According to YG CEO Yang Hyun Suk, the "C" in "ICON" was replaced with a "K" Because he wanted them to become an 'icon' for Korea.
B.I (Kim Han Bin) made appearance as featuring artist together with MC Mong, "Indian Boy". He also performed at SBS Dream Concert 2009 and guest at KBS Yoo Hee yeol's sketchbook along with MC Mong.
Gu Jun Hwe made appearance as little Michael Jackson at SBS Star King. He also competed in Kpop Star in 2011.
Who is Next: Win
The group was first introduced in 2013 through the reality survival program Who is Next: Win as Team B, consisting of leader B.I, Bobby, Jinhwan, Junhoe, Yunhyeong, and Donghyuk. Team B competed against another group of trainees known as Team A for the chance to debut as the group Winner. Team B eventually lost to Team A and continued as trainees. Through the course of the show they released three singles as "Team B".
Then, Bobby and B.I. went on a rap survival program called Show Me The Money 3 and B.I. Got eliminated in episode 7 as top 10. However, Bobby's rap skills won the program and their group became more popular and known.
Mix & Match
In June 2014, Team B competed in a second reality survival program "Mix & Match". This time, the focus was on forming a new seven member boy group. The program featured the six members of Team B and three new trainees: Jung Chanwoo, Jung Jinhyeong and Yang Hongseok. The winners would debut together under the name iKON. At the press conference, it was announced that B.I, Bobby, and Jinhwan were already confirmed members of iKON, leaving the remaining three members of Team B to battle for one of four places alongside the new trainees. The winners were Junhoe, Yunhyeong, Chanwoo and Donghyuk.
2015: Debut and Welcome Back
On September 4th 2015, it was announced that iKON and Winner would feature in a project film titled 'Dimension', which premiered on September 7th 2015.
On September 8th 2015, iKON's official debut was announced through a teaser posted on YG Entertainment's website. It was lated revealed that iKON would be releasing their debut single on September 15. Additionally, their debut album, Welcome Back, would be split in two parts. The first part, 'Debut Half Album' is set to be released on October 1st, followed by the 'Debut Full Album' on November 2nd.iKON would also hold their debut concert 'SHOWTIME' on October 3rd 2015 at the Seoul Olympic Gymnastics Arena.
On September 15th 2015, 12:00am KST, iKON's debut single "My Type" was released alongside the Music Video. Immediately after release, 'My Type' took over all eight major real-time music charts in Korea, claiming the No.1 spot on Melon, Mnet, Olleh, Bugs, Genie, Naver Music,and Monkey3. They achieved a 'Certified All-Kill' by topping both the real-time and daily charts of the aforementioned music sites. Read more on Last.fm. User-contributed text is available under the Creative Commons By-SA License; additional terms may apply.
There is more than one artist with the name Ikon;
1) iKON (hangul: 아이콘) is a South Korean boy band formed by YG Entertainment. iKON made their official debut in 2015, the members were well known as Team B pre-debut due to the survival shows "Win: Who Is Next" which was aired in 2013 and "Mix & Match" which was aired in 2014. The group made their official Korean debut on the 15th of September 2015 through the digital release of their first single "My Type" from their first studio album Welcome Back and made their first debut broadcast on the 4th of October 2015 on SBS's Inkigayo. The group also won Best New Artist award in MelOn Music Awards and Best New Male Artist award in Mnet Music Awards. iKON's seven members are B.I, Bobby, Kim Jinhwan, Koo Junhoe, Song Yunhyeong, Kim Donghyuk and Jung Chanwoo.
2) IKON is an Australian goth/darkwave band that has gained an international following. Chris McCarter(vocals, guitar, programming) and Dino Molinaro (bass) began to create music as high school students in Melbourne, Australia in 1988. In 1991, their band Death in the Dark, which included Michael Carrodus on vocals, changed its name to IKON.
IKON has released five studio albums, five EPs and seventeen singles, with additional unique versions that have been produced for Germany, America and Russia. The band’s last full-length release, Destroying the World to Save It, attained number 21 on the Native DJ World Charts for best album of 2005.
IKON has frequently toured Australia, Europe and the UK. IKON has played on the same bill as The Sisters of Mercy, H.I.M., Soft Cell, Death in June, London After Midnight and The Mission. IKON has performed at the Eurorock Festival (2001) in Belgium and at the M’era Luna Festival (2002) in Hildesheim, Germany before an audience of more than 15,000 people. The band has also appeared three times at the world’s largest goth festival, Wave Gotik Treffen in Leipzig, Germany, in 2003, 2005 (during that year Anthony Cornish joined the live line-up on guitar) and 2011.
In 2007, the band embarked upon ‘The Burden of History’ tour of Europe to mark the release of the singles collection (1992-2007) of the same name. The EPs League of Nations (2007) and Amongst the Runes (2008) demonstrate a progression in IKON’s signature sound, providing a taster of the forthcoming album Love, Hate and Sorrow (to be released in September 2009). While retaining the essence of influences such as Joy Division, early New Order and Death in June, the future for IKON promises to add further texture to the band’s style. Love, Hate and Sorrow embraces more melodic song structures without entirely relinquishing the shadowy threads that are interweaved in the lyrics, art work, and music of one of the world’s most successful and enduring darkwave bands. The single "A Line on a Dark Day" from the album will also be made into the band's first video clip.
3) A UK collaborative project of Elliot Ireland and Alex Rizzo, the people behind the Jalapeno label. They utilise a wide range of guest vocalists and instrumentalists to create an interesting fusion of dnb, jazz, downtempo and triphop. They have released a self-titled album and at least 2 singles, 'The Dove' and 'Tricolour'. The album took a long time to make and was created in 7 different countries with 8 different collaborations, in languages such as Portuguese and English.
From the Jalapeno Records Website on Ikon:
"As for the Ikon sound it's tricky to categorise: bossa nova melodies seem to seep effortlessly into epic cinematic productions, which mutate into slick drum and bass rhythms."
"Musically the group cites most genres as being influential to the Ikon sound, particularly jazz, funk, soul and hip hop."
"What the hell is Ikon about? "Happy coincidences," opines co-founding member Alex Rizzo with a smile."
"Ikon is about producing lush, imaginative music and recreating sounds in an original way. Give us a keyboard a string, synth or computer- Rolf Harris's stylophone and we'll play it- the quirkier the better. If there's a sound we wanna emulate we'll try and get the original materials: like a 60s bass and a 60s mic to get the right effect."
4) A religious community in Belfast with the CD "Dubh".
5) A since-disbanded Stratford-based metal band with the CD "Sterilized".
6) Ikon is a finnish thrash metal band from Kouvola, since spring 2007.
7) Ikon is a drum & bass producer duo James Smyth & Andy Walters from United Kingdom.
http://www.rolldabeats.com/artist/ikon Read more on Last.fm. User-contributed text is available under the Creative Commons By-SA License; additional terms may apply.